If you are a true gamer, you already know how expensive gaming really is. With new games for most consoles costing around $60 per game, your love for gaming may empty your wallet. With a GameFly subscription, you can kick paying full price for games to the curb. Our unbiased GameFly review will help you decide if their gaming rental service is worth it for you.
GameFly first introduced their online gaming rental service in 2002. Today, thousands of gamers use their service to rent video games. The services offers over 8,000 games and movies from the leading gaming consoles such as PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, and more.
GameFly Review – Is GameFly legit?
Prior to writing our GameFly review, we received numerous emails questioning the legitimacy of their service.
After purchasing a GameFly membership for our common area and thoroughly testing out the service, I can assure you that GameFly is legit. Bottom line, if you pay for the service, they will allow you to rent different games and movies.
It is important to mention that GameFly has a fair share of negative reviews, half of which are false, bogus, and unfair. On the positive end, the Better Business Bureau gave GameFly a perfect rating.
The Better Business Bureau page also shows the amount of complaints that were filed against the company. While making your decision solely on this is not something that we would recommend, it still gives you a chance to browse through customer complaints to see the major problem areas.
How does GameFly work?
Once you create an account, you will have access to thousands of rentable games and movies.
Start by adding the games and movies you want into your “My GameQ.” As the games become available, GameFly will automatically ship them out to you. You will be able to keep the games for as long as you want.
Once you are done playing the games, simply send them back using the free prepaid shipping mailer. Once they receive your returned games, they will send you the next available games on your list.
It is a straightforward process.
GameFly offers two monthly game and movie rental packages. Prior to paying for anything, all new members will receive a 30-day free trial.
Here is a quick breakdown between the two plans:
- One game or movie out at a time will cost you $9/mo. for the first three months and $15.95/mo. thereafter.
- Two games or movies out at a time will cost you $14/mo. for the first three months and then $22.95/mo. thereafter.
There are no other fees and the membership can be cancelled at any time.
Personally, we like the idea of having the ability to rent multiple games or movies at once as it reduces the wait time. It all comes down to the amount of time you spend playing.
If you are a hardcore gamer, the more expensive plan is probably better for you.
- GameFly helps you save money by eliminating the need to pay full price for video games and movies.
- Huge selection of video games, featuring 8,000 games from various gaming consoles including PlayStation 4, Xbox One, Wii U, 3DS, and others.
- All of your games ship for free. They have fives shipping locations throughout the United States – Kansas City, Los Angeles, Pittsburgh, Seattle and Tampa.
- The ability to keep games for as long as you want. There are no restrictions on the amount of time each game can be kept.
- If you rent a game and decide to keep it, you will receive a special discount for purchasing the game.
- Although the games are available as soon as they are released to the general public, receiving a newly released game is going to take some time.
- Due to thousands of other members renting and playing the same games, not all games will arrive in the perfect condition. Some games may show signs of wear and tear and might not even work.
- Swapping out games is slow. The turnaround for returning a game and then getting a new one takes about a week.
How to cancel my GameFly account?
This is probably what we like the most about GameFly. You can cancel your membership by logging into your account and cancelling the service. Alternatively, their service can be cancelled by calling their customer service department.
The process is user-friendly and very convenient. Other services make you jump through loops just to cancel their service.
Is GameFly worth it?
Depending on the amount of time and money you spend on gaming, a GameFly membership may or may not be worth it.
If you are looking for a video game rental service, you will not find a better alternative, as most are out of business.
If you love playing video games but hate paying $60 for each game, GameFly may be the service you are looking for. For $15.95/month, you gain access to thousands of video games and movies.
While it has minor drawbacks, we think it is the best online game rental service.